Amarkalam (அமர்க்களம்) is a Tamil film starring Ajith and Shalini in the lead roles. It was released in 1999.Ajith plays Vasu, a drunken rowdy who lives in a cinema owned by Vinu Chakravarthy. He had a tortured childhood and wastes his days by drinking, fighting, and sleeping. The film begins when Vasu’s friend Dhamu loses a reel of the movie Annamalai to Mohana (Shalini). Vasu and Mohana clash when Vasu attempts to retrieve the reel. Mohana’s family are members of the police, headed by Birla Bose (Nasser), Mohana’s father.
At this point, an ex-Mafia “Dada” who spent many years in jail because of Birla Bose, Tulasi Das (Raghuvaran), comes to the theater. He doesn’t like Bose, and hires Vasu to kidnap Mohana. He cries out his woes in the song “Satham Illatha.” Mohana falls in love with him, hearing his pain.
When Tulasi Das realizes Mohana loves Vasu, he hires Vasu further to pretend he loves her back. At first, with Vasu, it’s just pretend, and then he, too, begins to love her. More surprises await the audience as the movie unfolds.
* The film grossed $2 million at the box office.
* Ajith fell in love with Shalini after co-starring with her in this movie; later they got married. So, the film was marketed as Shalini’s last film. However, Mani Ratnam’s movie Alaipayuthey, starring Madhavan as the hero, was Shalini’s last movie.
* The film was later remade into Telugu in 2004 as Leela Mahal Centre starring Aryan Rajesh and Sada.
* It was also remade into a Kannada movie Asura starring Shiv Rajkumar and Raghuvaran, who reprises his role.
* It was also later dubbed into Telugu as Adhbutam.
Directed by: Saran
Produced by : Venkateswaralayam (V.Sathyanarayana, V.Sumanth Kumar)
Written by: Ramesh Khanna
Starring : Ajith, Shalini, Raghuvaran, Radhika, Nassar, Vinu Chakravarthi, Dhamu, Vaiyapuri, Charle, Ramesh Khanna, Ambika
Music by : Bharadwaj
Editing by: Suresh urs
Release date: August 1999